In today’s society, there is an ongoing debate about the role of guns in American culture. However, when talking about guns, many people forget to include some of the most interesting and relevant facts about the gun industry. This article will show you ten things you may not have known about the gun industry in the United States.
- The gun industry is a major contributor to the US economy. Each year, firearms contribute more than $30 billion dollars to the economy, and gun manufacturing provides more than 200,000 jobs.
- The number of employees in the gun industry grew by 10% during the Great Recession.
- Today, the most popular reason Americans own a gun is for protection..
- In 2013, 37% of American adults reported that they have a gun in their home, whether they own it or it belongs to someone else in the home.
- In 2009, the American people owned over 310 million firearms collectively, and the number has increased since then. One day, there may be more guns in the United States than there are people.
- Each year, anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 gun shows are held across the United States.
- Stock in two of the largest gun manufacturers, such as Smith & Wesson, have increased dramatically over the past several years by over 100 points.
- Guns are used 80 times more frequently to protect human lives than they are to commit violent crimes.
- Americans in the Northeast are the least likely to own a gun, while guns are most common in the South.
- While there are many debates about increasing gun control in the United States, less than half of Americans are in favor gun control.